Grandma’s German Chocolate Cake Cupcakes
German Chocolate Cake Cupcakes
I turned my grandmother’s German Chocolate Cake recipe into a cupcake recipe. Walnuts irritate the roof of my mouth, so I substituted pecans, which I think give the cake a more mellow, and rich flavor. Plus, my mouth doesn’t hurt!
Takes about an hour to mix and bake
- 1/2 c water
- 4 (1 ounce) squares sweet chocolate
- 1 c butter, softened
- 2 c white sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1 c buttermilk
- 2 1/2 c cake flour
- 1 t baking soda
- 1/2 t salt
- 4 egg whites
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Insert cupcake liners into a muffin pan.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt and then set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat the water and 4 ounces of chocolate until completely melted. Remove from the heat and allow the chocolate to cool.
- In a large bowl, cream 1 cup of butter and 2 cups of sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy. Beat in 4 egg yolks one at a time.
- Blend in the melted chocolate mixture and vanilla.
- Beat in the flour mixture, alternating with the buttermilk, mixing just until incorporated.
- In a large glass or metal mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold 1/3 of the whites into the batter, and then quickly fold in the remaining egg whites until no streaks remain in the batter.
- Pour or spoon the mixture into the lined muffin pan. Bake 25 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the pan, and then turn out the cupcakes onto a wire rack.
- 1 c white sugar
- 1 c evaporated milk
- 1/2 c butter
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 1/3 c flaked coconut
- 1 c chopped pecans
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1/2 t shortening
- 1 (1 ounce) square semisweet chocolate
- In a saucepan, over low heat, combine 1 cup of sugar, the evaporated milk, 1/2 cup of butter, and 3 egg yolks. Stir constantly until thickened, and then remove from heat.
- Stir in the coconut, pecans and vanilla. Cool until thick enough to spread.
- Spread the frosting onto the tops of the cooled cupcakes.
- In a small saucepan, melt shortening and 1 ounce of chocolate. Stir until smooth and then drizzle across the frosted tops.